This is a gluten free version of the “Melty Nutritional Yeast ‘Cheese'” recipe from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe’s, but am going to try chickpea flour next time, for added protein.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 Earth Balance (any oil is probably fine, but I wanted the buttery flavor)
- 1 tsp wet mustard
- Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan.
- Whisk in water.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking, until it thickens and bubbles.
- Cook 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Whip in margarine and mustard.
- It will thicken as it cools but will thin when heated, or add water to thin it.
I made a really simple meal with a baked sweet potato, steamed green beans, and an veggie burger (I used Engine 2 brand). I sprinkled some chopped sundried tomatoes, and bac’un bits on top of my potato. It was simple, but the “cheese” sauce gave just the right amount of flavor!