- 4-5 large apples or pears (I used 3 pears and 2 apples)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 tbsp gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup finely ground almonds (or walnuts, or pecans)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used light)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (or more, I ran out!)
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened, but not melted (or softened Earth Balance)
- Preheat the oven to 375 (F).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the apples, pears, granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon on the flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon until the apples & pears are well coated. Arrange them in an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In another medium-sized bowl, mix the remaining 3/4 cup flour, almond meal, brown sugar, nutmeg, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, salt, rolled oats, and walnuts. Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture in the pan.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes, until the apples are soft. Uncover, then bake until the crumble is crisp and golden, about 10 more minutes.